The State House will reopen to employees and the public Thursday, two days after a fire forced the evacuation of the state capitol and raised concerns about carbon monoxide levels inside, the building’s superintendent announced Wednesday afternoon.
“The power has been restored to the building and it has been determined that it is safe to reopen the building tomorrow,” Superintendent Tammy Kraus said in an update around 4:15 p.m. She added, “Air scrubbers will continue to operate throughout the evening and potentially tomorrow to absorb residual odors.”
High-voltage wires that feed into a transformer in the State House’s sub-basement caught fire just after 2 p.m. Tuesday, fire department officials said, triggering a two-alarm response from firefighters and forcing the evacuation of hundreds of lawmakers, building staffers and tourists. The fire also left an acrid smell lingering throughout the State House.
Source : WCVB